Palouse Gleaning Coordinator
510 W Palouse River Dr.
Moscow, ID 83843
email@example.com | 208-669-2259
Backyard Harvest connects the bounty of our region with those who need it most! We are looking for a passionate, organized person to facilitate produce gleaning and distribution in the Palouse region. This critical work involves coordinating with local farmers, landowners, and produce donors; leading volunteers; and managing logistics and scheduling. The successful candidate will be a capable communicator comfortable working outside in varying conditions.
Hours: Training and onboarding to begin in April, Seasonal work is from May – November (May to midJune: 5-10 hours/week; mid-June to late October: 20-30 hours/week; late October – mid-November: 10-15 hours/week)
Wage: $15.00 an hour
The Gleaning Coordinator supports the mission of Backyard Harvest by facilitating gleaning, gathering, and distribution efforts. The work includes significant volunteer coordination as well as assisting with events, outreach, and other Backyard Harvest activities. This position requires travel throughout the Palouse region (Latah and Whitman Counties) operating a Backyard Harvest vehicle, using ladders and picking equipment, and repeatedly lifting over 30 lbs. Read the full job description here.
Below are the areas of emphasis for this position and an estimate of the overall percentage of time spent on each category:
Organizing & Leading Gleaning Activities (60%)
• Schedule and coordinate gleaning events with landowners/farmers, responding to produce offers, tracking ripeness, and performing scouting visits as needed.
• Coordinate volunteers for gleaning events and respond to gleaning volunteer inquiries.
• Conduct regular gleaning/harvesting events, ensuring participant safety and safe food handling.
• Ensure adequate supplies and equipment for gleaning; this includes the care and procurement of tools and boxes.
• Respond to donation pick-up requests; conduct or delegate volunteers to conduct pick-ups.
• Drive volunteers to and from gleaning sites as needed.
Coordinating Produce Distribution (20%)
● Coordinate volunteers for produce distribution and maintain communication with food access sites regarding produce deliveries.
● Deliver produce to distribution sites when needed.
Record-keeping & Reporting (10%)
● Update and maintain databases and files related to gleaning, distribution, and volunteers.
● Maintain records for release of liability/photo waivers, distribution receipts, and other important documentation.
● Write annual summary for the Gleaning + Distribution Review report identifying accomplishments and areas for improvement.
Other Duties As Assigned (10%)
This position will receive training from and report to the Executive Director.
Valid drivers license to operate a Backyard Harvest vehicle.
Experience working with volunteers
Gleaning or orchard experience
Organized, energetic, and friendly
Email pdf resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
(Contact: Executive Director Beau Mosman)
Please include “Palouse Gleaning Coordinator Application” in subject line.